Trees in the rainforst grow all the time, so they don't have rings. This blew my mind!
![]() |
| no rings! |
![]() |
| Candlestick Ginger |
![]() |
| buttress roots |
![]() |
| stilt roots |
The walking palm can move up to 15cm per year searching for sunlight. It accomplishes this by sending out new roots in the direction it needs to travel.
Elvis also pointed out a plant he referred to as the erotic plant. Apparently the sap from this tree is used to make a type of Viagra. I'm not sure where they got the idea from, though...
Although Tarantulas are nocturnal, Elvis woke a few up so we could see them. I was surprised to learn that they live in holes by the path, which makes finding food easier for them. While their bites are very painful, they are not deadly. Still, they move very quickly, and I was glad to see them from afar. I know how grumpy I get when someone wakes me up from a good sleep!
At one point, Elvis grabbed some leaves and started rubbing them in his hands. He added a bit of water, and it started turning a deep purple. I got voluntold for face paint, and then after it was on, told it would take years to come off. Thankfully my experiences with Queen's Engineering taught me how to get purple dye off my skin quickly and effectively!
While in the forest, we thought we mist be looking pretty good because someone was whistling at us. Turns out it was male Screaming Piha competing for a mate. I will upload video as soon as I can.
We had a short boat ride on the lake, where we saw some hoatzin, aslo known as stinky birds.
Apparently they are so smelly that they have no natural predator! Now that's smelly! Creatures in the lake include piranahs, electric eels, and freshwater stingrays.
The two biggest trees in the forest where we were are the strangling fig, which wraps itself around a host tree, slowly killing it, and the Kapok.
![]() |
| Strangling fig - outside |
![]() |
| Strangling fig - inside |
![]() |
| One of the roots from the giant kapok |
![]() |
| Kapok |
We returned back to the lodge for a yummy lunch and a relaxing afternoon. The water for each lodge was heated by solar, so I wanted to wait until after midday to shower. The water was good and hot, and I did not regret my decision.
![]() |
| Solar hot water heaters for each of the cabins (I'm an eco geek!) |
We saw two more caimans, both babies about one year old. They looked to be no more than a foot long. We also saw some capybara up close. The biggest one was HUGE! It was the size of a medium to large dog! In the same vein as last night, I decided not to bring my camera out of respect for the caimans and capybara.
We spent a good 5 minutes on the boat with the motor turned off just listening to the sounds of the rainforest. I also looked at the stars. I always forget how amazing the night sky is when there's no lights on!
Tomorrow we begin our trip home to Toronto. This has been a magical trip, and I am sad it's over.


















0 comments:
Post a Comment