I'm adapting this beautiful checkerboard throw from Berroco, but using five different yarns in bright blues and blue-greys and using much bigger needles to make it a bit chunkier. The plan is for it to be a bed sized throw.
Checkerboard Throw
FINISHED SIZE
I'm aiming for a 60" x 60" (not including fringe).
MATERIALS
40" length circular knitting needle, 12mm (size 17)
GAUGE
We'll see!
NOTE
All yarns are worked together throughout.
CHECKERBOARD PATTERN
* Row 1: k 33, p 30, k 33.
Row 2: k 3, p 30, k 30, p 30, k 3.
Repeat these 2 rows 17 times more, end on Row 2.
Row 38: k 3, p 30, k 30, p 30, k 3.
Row 39: k 33, p 30, k 33.
Repeat these 2 rows 17 times more, end on Row 38.
Repeat from * once more for checkerboard pattern
THROW
With a 12mm (size 17) needle, using 1 strand of each yarn, cast on 96 stitchs. Knit 4 rows. Work in Checkerboard Pattern for 144 rows (4 rows of 3 blocks). Knit 4 rows. Bind off all stitches
FRINGE
Cut 3 15" long strands of each yarn. Put all strands together and fold in half. With crochet hook, draw center of strands through first st of throw on cast-on edge, forming a loop. Pull ends of fringe through this loop. In this manner, make fringe in every other st across entire cast-on edge of throw. Trim fringe ends to even off, if necessary. Work fringe across bound-off edge of throw.
A big thank you goes out to the Purple Purl for helping me pick out some beautiful and mostly reasonably priced yarns in the right colours! They have a stitch night on Tuesdays which I plan on attending. They also seem to have knitters stopping by during regular business hours for help with their projects. Needless to say, I suspect I will need to stop in at some point.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! a new blog!!! YAY....and I see you've imported your travel from WISE over here :) good for you. I have a blogger friend Lauren and her blog is called "What Lauren Likes" I like the just "Lyndsey Likes" ---it has a nice ring to it! YAY blog rolling you :) and I love your knitting. I can't believe how good you are. We stole the green blanket of Lo's and use it everyday (you've probably seen it in almost every pic on the blog) lol
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see how this progresses!
@Ali Mc I decided that I wanted to be able to talk about the things that I like besides women in engineering, and figured this was a much better forum for that! Eventually I'll move all of the Becoming Wise travel blogs here, and include more pictures!
ReplyDeleteWe'll see how the blanket turns out, I need to go and get some of my yarn skeins made into balls. The Purple Purl said they could help me with that at their Stitch and Bitch tonight!
I like it! - the blog that is. Ya it's weird I feel like once you've blogged you just always have to lol. I escaped for some time but I just love it. You get to find out so much information. Soon knitting/ultimate/travel people will be telling you all these tips and you can share stuff :D
ReplyDeleteI had an awesome run tonight. the new shoes are killer!