lyndsey likes (and Lyndsey) have moved! Searching at the new site, Local Abroad...

lyndsey likes...: Applesauce

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Applesauce

After my small experiment with pearsauce, I decided it was time to try to make some applesauce to go with it, since it was a bit to strong of a flavour for my liking. My day started with a trip to Canadian Tire to get some jars to put the applesauce, and whatever else I decide to make for myself, into.

I opted for the 4 pack of 500mL wide mouth jars for two reasons. First, I didn't want to buy 12, and 4 was the smallest number that they had.  Secondly, I figure wide mouth jars would be more versatile, if I wanted to put in, say meat or cheese when I go shopping, rather than in a plastic bag.

This recipe is very simple, and requires no special tools, but the applesauce is a bit chunky!

I bought six MacIntoshes (they're my favourite) to practice with, which filled just over 3 jars.

Peel, cut and core the apples. If you're lucky like me and have a food processor on hand, slicing the apples will make the process go that much faster.



Hurray for food Processors!
Next, throw the apples into a large saucepan with about 2 cups of water, the juice from one lemon, a few lemon rind slices and a sprinkle of cinnamon.  You could also throw a cinnamon stick in there too, if you've got one. Bring to a boil, and simmer for between 5 to 10 minutes, or until the apples are soft.

 

Take a potato masher, and go crazy on the apples until the sauce has reached the consistency you're looking for.


Put the applesauce into sanitized jars, and store in the fridge or freezer.


I marked the type of sauce on the jar with a china maker. It's come in handy for labeling food containers, as you'll see.

Simple, delicious, easy and cheap!

Questions:

What is your favourite kind of apple?
- Obviously Macs, but I also like Granny Smith, but I read that they make terrible applesauce because they're so tart!

1 comment:

  1. haha I laughed at your answer to the question at the bottom b/c I thought you meant "mac computers" but I also love mac apples, granny smith used to be my fav but now I find them sour??? I HATE red I find them no-so-delicious ;) lol

    great post. I'm gonna make some for little L as he loves a good apple sauce treat!

    ReplyDelete