lyndsey likes (and Lyndsey) have moved! Searching at the new site, Local Abroad...

lyndsey likes...: Butternut Squash Curry

Friday, November 4, 2011

Butternut Squash Curry

I picked up a copy of the Inspired magazine from my local Sobeys last week because there was a beautiful looking pumpkin curry on the front. Now that I know that they have an online version, I will be checking that out, rather than taking the paper copy. It`s less waste!

A few missing and forgotten items from the grocery store let me to make this butternut squash version instead!

1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
1 medium butternut squash, diced
4 tbsp curry powder
salt and pepper
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 1/2 cups broth
Raisins
Slivered Almonds

Using a food processor, puree the onion and garlic into a paste. I used the mini food processor that came with my immersion blender.


Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion-garlic paste and ginger. Cook until most of the moisture evaporates.



Stir in the pumpkin, curry powder, salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Mix in the tomato paste and cook another 2 to 3 minutes.

Add the broth, cover and keep to a low simmer.  Cook until the pumpkin is tender and the sauce has thickened slightly, approximately 15 minutes.


Serve with Basmati Rice. Garnish each bowl with raisins and almonds.

I went a bit overboard with the raisins.


The recipe called for pumpkin (none at the store), chickpeas (the can I thought I had was gone) and cilantro (kicking myself that I forgot to buy it). I think the chickpeas and cilantro would have made this yummy dish even better!

Now for my brainwave for the night! Instead of putting the rice and curry separately in the fridge, which I normally do. I put individually sized portions into some glass jars into the freezer. But first I labeled them with my china marker!



 These will make amazing lunches. I can`t wait to figure out what else I can put in jars and freeze!

Question:

Where do you find inspiration for new dishes?
-Mine are usually like this was - I see a picture of a cool thing and I figure out how to try it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment