In order to reduce my waste at the bulk food store, I made some simple drawstring bags to use instead of the plastic bags provided.
For this project I used some organic cotton that I found at my favourite
Designer Fabrics along with the fabric that I got for my
cotton make-up pads and
handkerchiefs. I love the cute patter of the girl with a balloon.
I started by deciding approximately how big I wanted the bags to be. I decided on about 8" by 10". I then cut strips of fabric that were 9" by 23".
Cut strips that are 1" wider and twice as long plus 3 inches.
Turn over each edge of the fabric 1/4" to 1/3" and press.
 |
| Turn over 1/4" |
 |
| Press! |
Next, turn over the short edges 1" and press. These will be the spaces for the drawstrings.
 |
| Turn and press! |
 |
| Pressing is done for now. |
Next sew the short edges. I used bright teal (fun!) because, as with the make-up pads, I didn't have (truth: my mom didn't have) any white thread.
 |
| Sew short edges |
Fold the fabric in half so that the short edges are touching and with the good sides together.
 |
| Fold in half |
Sew the long edges together, either starting or stopping at the you just sewed. You have to be able to get the drawstrings through! I sewed these seams twice, to try to keep leakage of the flour, sugar and other bulk items to a minimum
 |
| Sew sides closed |
 |
| Then again |
 |
| Finished sewing! |
Now it's time to put the drawstrings through. I find putting two in, one each way, makes it really easy to close the bags when they're full, and tie them shut so they stay that way.
Start by threading both strings through one side. A safety pin really helps with this step
 |
| Drawstrings |
Next thread one string through the rest of the way. Tie off and, in my case, melt to seal.
 |
| Tie off |
 |
| Yay fire! |
Thread the other string through the other way. Tie off and seal.
 |
| Voila! |
I made a few of these in a variety of sizes. They're not the same design, but the one I described above is by far the best and easiest to use. I've spilled quinoa all over my shopping bag with another design. I will be fixing it the next time I'm at my parents and can steal my mom's sewing machine.
 |
| Easy reusable baggies |
FYI - These are also excellent for storing fresh produce in the refrigerator.
0 comments:
Post a Comment