lyndsey likes (and Lyndsey) have moved! Searching at the new site, Local Abroad...

lyndsey likes...: Reducing Junk Mail with the help of Canada Post

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Reducing Junk Mail with the help of Canada Post

I have been very diligent about returning mail that is sent to my house to a different addressee. Except for two of the letters I sent back, got sent to me a second time, with the "RETURN TO SENDER" right on it, the amount of this type of mail I get has gone down significantly. It has not, however, reduced the amount of junk mail/unaddressed admail I get. After weighing the junk mail I put into my recycling yesterday, I am (hopefully) putting a stop to this.

Canada Post has an opt out program for admail. I did as they suggested, and put up this notice from the red dot campaign on my mailbox stating that I do not want to receive unaddressed admail.

If I keep receiving admail, I am happy to report that I can call Canada Post to report that it's still being delivered to my house!

I also signed up with the Canadian Marketing Association's Do Not Contact Registry in an attempt to reduce the number of addressed marketing offers sent to my address. Canada Post is required by law to deliver any mail that bears your address, so hopefully this in combination with the No Junk Mail sign will result in me only getting mail that's addressed to me.

And lastly, I signed up to get my pay stub electronically. I always thought it was odd to get paper pay stubs, especially since I get paid directly to my bank account. When the option became available, I think I was one of the first to sign up. The next step will be to convince all of my co-workers to do the same!

Do you do anything to reduce the amount of admail you get?

addition: I have started returning solicitations with a prepaid Business Reply Mail envelope. As suggested on the Red Dot Campaign FAQ, I wrote "Do Not Solicit" on the letter containing my name and address, signed and dated it, then put it in the prepaid envelope and mailed it off

0 comments:

Post a Comment