lyndsey likes (and Lyndsey) have moved! Searching at the new site, Local Abroad...

lyndsey likes...: Cycling for Groceries

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Cycling for Groceries

Today I did a little bit of work, but R stayed home, so not a lot.

It was pretty boring, until we cycled to the grocery store! In the Netherlands! No one here understands how excited I was that this happened. R's mom has lent me her bike for the time that I'm here, and she has a great little saddle bag that carried all of our groceries in it beautifully.

Being in a small town, of course we ran into R's mom. We had a nice little chat then we both continued with our shopping. Can you believe that we found both butternut squash AND sweet potatoes? I already had an alternative for the sweet potatoes in mind when we found them. All wrapped up in plastic and Styrofoam. So much for Zero Waste... Everything here is individually wrapped. Even the bananas, which are the best fruit ever because they already come with a wonderful, biodegradable wrap!

I made the Beef and Sweet Potato Stew from Joy the Baker. Her recipes have never led me astray, check her out! It was delicious. R made fun of me because I'm not particularly confident in the kitchen. Plus I tend to make lots of messes, which are even more obvious in his little kitchen. So despite it being good, I am still working to prove I am not a complete screw up in the kitchen. Stay tuned...

I nearly forgot to add that I ate the most wonderful chip-like snack tonight. They were just the right amount of salty and crispy without being oily like chips can be. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get them in Canada, and that's a good thing!

I liked them so much, I took a picture!

0 comments:

Post a Comment