lyndsey likes (and Lyndsey) have moved! Searching at the new site, Local Abroad...

lyndsey likes...: Football

Monday, December 5, 2011

Football

Today R had his weekly football game, and I went to watch. I wore practically every piece if clothing that I brought because it was cold and windy. He plays on a team with his oldest brother, but his other brother and mom came out to watch as well. I suspect it was also to keep me company, which is super thoughtful.

The town's football club is called RKSV DOSR. They have a pretty sweet setup, if you ask me. There is a main, grass, field where the competitive teams generally play. There are some small bleachers where fans can watch. There are also two turf fields where the recreational teams play, one of which has sheltered benches. There are also some smaller, fenced in areas where kids can keep themselves occupied while there are other games going on. There is a clubhouse where the players congregate after games to have some beers and food. They also sell a yummy cup of coffee!


Kids start in level E and move up every 2 years until they're in A. From there they have the option of trying out for either team 1 or 2, both of which are competitive, or to play recreationally in one of the other teams. It's not surprising that the Netherlands has so many good footballers. I think it's similar to the hockey programs in Canada, though I admittedly never really paid attention.

R's team won their game, and R scored 2 goals! His teammates kept joking that I need to come to all of their games because he never plays that well. I suspect they are exaggerating. I was just happy that they were playing on the field with the sheltered benches!

Later in the afternoon, we went for a bike ride around Roelofarendsveen. It's pronounced rule-of-aaron's-vein, and it took me a week of practicing when R visited me in October to say it properly!

View Biking Tour of Roelofarendsveen in a larger map

The wind was quite strong, which made biking beside the Braassemermeer a little tough, but it was still very beautiful. I think my mom and aunts would love this place - it's so close to the water!


As I said in my last post, I have been having some trouble with my camera. I will deal with it when I get back, because it's still in the warranty period. In the mean time, R's sister-in-law generously lent me her camera to use while I'm here. I promise to take some pictures of the town during my lunch break on a nice day (assuming we have one!)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lynds, I finally found all these postes tonight and I'm catching up. The bicycle ride sounds wonderful. I'm so glad that R's family are all ensuring that you are feeling welcomed. My guess is that you're pretty easy to have around :) Love mom

    ReplyDelete